Pulmonary (lungs) disease places a huge burden on society in terms of disability and premature mortality, and also in direct health service costs, drugs prescribed and the indirect costs related to lost production. Patients seek for help often due to discomfort in the chest area such as chest pain, tiredness, and dry cough which can be symptoms of lung disease. These symptoms mostly present in some of the common lung diseases, such include chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, lung cancer, tuberculosis (TB), obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome (OSAS) and pneumonia/acute lower respiratory infections (ALRI). Some of these diseases are often chronic and affect quality of life. It is therefore, essential to be consulted with pulmonologist in order to diagnose and receive proper treatment.
All hospitals provide comprehensive diagnosis and treatment for all disorders of the respiratory system using the latest state-of-the-art medical technology. At Samitivej Hospital, Endobronchial Ultrasound (E-BUS) is available and detect various forms of lung cancer and lung infections, as well as instruments for conducting biopsies.
Experienced team of specialist physicians and highly trained nurses are prepared to treat conditions such as bronchitis, pneumonia, pulmonary emphysema, asthma, chronic coughing and hemoptysis. We also offer support to patients looking to make a positive life change at the Quit Smoking Clinic.
Available Medical Investigations
- Blood Test: As needed.
- Example: Complete Blood Count, Cardiac enzymes, Fasting Blood Sugar, Lipid Profile, Liver Function Test, Kidney Function Test, etc.
- Sputum examination: To detect any microorganism.
- Spirometry: To determine the lung’s function during expiration.
- Arterial blood gas analysis: To determine the oxygen and carbon dioxide level within the lungs.
- X’ray: An imaging test that uses electromagnetic radiation to penetrates structures within the body and creates images of these structures on photographic film. It will provide information of abnormalities within lungs.
- Bronchoscopy: it is performed under local anaesthetic and examine through nose or mouth with small camera to investigate any abnormalities within lungs. Can be used for both diagnostic and therapeutic indications.
- CT Scan: It uses X-rays to make detailed pictures of parts of the body and the structures inside the body.
- Sleep test with polysomnography: a type of sleep study which record the biophysiological changes that occur during sleep.
- Diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of respiratory conditions and diseases
- Pulmonology and Pulmonary Critical Care
- Outpatient Consultation Unit
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (E-BUS) for detection of lung cancer
- Special UV sterilization system
- Special ventilation system to prevent spread of airborne bacteria
- Quit Smoking Clinic by Samitivej
- Rehabilitation Centre